Details, Details…

There are thousands of perfectly good published crochet patterns out there. More often than not, when I get an idea for a new class, I can’t quite find an existing pattern that brings all the elements that I want to present together. That means I have to put on my designer’s thinking cap and get busy.  Such was the case for Tunisian Crochet in the Round.

A page from my crochet notebook

It doesn’t happen all in one sitting, either. First comes a whole lotta swatching to zero in on a stitch pattern and yarn choice. I’ve figured out that I need to carefully document all decisions, counts, and special instructions as I go, because otherwise, I have to reverse engineering my own work. It also helps to note the potential trouble spots; what can go wrong and how to avoid it, in preperation for the classroom. I usually go through 4-5 versions of whatever it is before settling on a final. That gets further refined as the time for the class approaches.

I have three main topics I want students to learn from this class project:

  1. A new combination of Tunisian stitches, with a two row repeat,
  2. A technique for increasing Tunisian stitches,
  3. Working in the round with the double ended Tunisan hook.

I like working in the round on the double ended hook the best out of the various ways one can work Tunisian crochet in the round. I think it is the easiest method. It also lends itself beautifully to working a different color on the return pass, creating that lovely color blend that only comes from Tunisian crochet.

This morning, I’ve made sure I’m happy with the way I wrote the increase for this Tunisian Mitts pattern for the class. One of the challenges when working Tunsian stitch patterns with multi row repeats is placing any increases or decreases in the right spot. There is symmetry to the stitch patterns that you don’t want to disrupt. I have found that there is no shortcut, you have to try out an increase to make sure it works, if you are not following a pattern.
The good news is, I seem to have nailed down the increase successfully  in the last iteration. Next up, I will refine that pesky thumb!

Details, Details…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s